• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DKIM Signing of messages sent from console fails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKIM Signing of messages sent from console fails

Hi,

I've got a problem with sending messages from the console of a linux server. As it seems, they are not correctly signed with DKIM.

I'm sending the mails from the console with the command:

Code:
    mailx -s "Some random subject" -a "From: MYMAILADDRESS" mailtest@unlocktheinbox.com
    or

Code:
    mail -s "Some random subject" -a "From: MYMAILADDRESS" mailtest@unlocktheinbox.com
    The domain im using for the sender address is configured within Axigen, and relaying of mails from localhost is allowed.

In both cases, I receive an automatic answer from unlocktheinbox.com which says, that DKIM-Validation failed using the MailBee.NET DKIM Test. Messages sent from the WebMail interface or a mail client are signed correctly (verified with the same test).

Any idea what I'm missing?

Regards
    Ulrich Huber

Hello,

Please increase the log level to Protocol Communication for both Processing and SMTP Sending service and retest again. After that please check your Axigen logs (default saved in /var/opt/axigen/log/everything.txt) and check if there are any issues with the message signing.

If you are not identifying any issues please share the logs with us adding also the smtpFilters.script file (located default in /var/opt/axigen/filters).

HTH,
    Ioan

Comment

Hello,

thanks for the answer. I have looked into the logs, but can't see anything suspicious.

I have divided the logs into different files in the server settings, but you have all relevant ones attached to this post.

Hope this helps.

Ulrich
      Attached Files

Comment

Has nobody an idea whats the problem?

Comment

Hello,

Please know that we have replicated the issue you have reported and a bug report have been opened (AXI-2044). I'll come back on this thread when a workaround or fix will be available.

BR,
          Ioan

Comment

Hello Ulrich,

Please confirm which OS are you using as on our Linux environment we are receiving the following error when running your command:

Code:
            [root@cent ~]# mailx -s "Some random subject" -a "From: test@test.com" mailtest@unlocktheinbox.com
            Checking the mailx man page from our system (CentOS 7) we found that the option -a is used for specifying an attachment file.
            MAILX(1) User Commands MAILX(1)

NAME
            mailx - send and receive Internet mail

SYNOPSIS
            mailx [-BDdEFintv~] [-s subject] [-a attachment ] [-c cc-addr] [-b bcc-addr] [-r from-addr] [-h hops] [-A account] [-S variable[=value]] to-addr . . .
            Testing from our system with the following command all looks fine (we have used option -r in order to set the from address):
            Code:
            [root@cent ~]# mailx -s "Some random subject" -r test@test.com mailtest@unlocktheinbox.com
            In order to continue the investigation on this issue please provide the requested information regarding your OS.

Also please re-test (adding in CC your address too) and provide:
            * the link where we could check the report generated by unlocktheinbox
            * the message you have received (being in CC), saved in EML format

BR,
            Ioan

Last edited by indreias; 09-05-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Hello Ioan,

I get the error that the option 'r' is unknown when using the command you provided. Seems like I have a different version of mailx.

Code:
              mailx: invalid option -- 'r'
              usage: mailx [-dEIinv] [-a header] [-b bcc-addr] [-c cc-addr] [-s subject] to-addr ...
                     mailx [-dEIiNnv] -f [name]
                     mailx [-dEIiNnv] [-u user]
              I'm using Debian 8.9 (which is the newest version supported by my hoster)

Axigen is version 10.1.0

The link to the report is:​ https://www.unlocktheinbox.com/mail-.../+w8QDdNVRWM=/

Unfortunately I had to convert the mail to the eml format, since the client on my all currently accessible devices does not support eml directly. I therefore attach the msg-format file additionally to the eml file (You can find it under the following link, since it is to big to be attached to the post). If you find yourself unable to work with the provided files, please say so and I will install a compatible client, to export te mail directly.

Best regards,
              Ulrich
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello Ioan,

I was able to get the eml file directly with a little workaround. Here you go!

Best regards,
                Ulrich
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Ulrich,

From the generated report I understand that the found signature:
                  • passed when checked with SmarterMail DKIM Test
                  • failed when checked with MailBee.NET DKIM Test
                  I'll try to check what means these tests and come back.

BR,
                  Ioan

Comment

Working...
                  X