Blocking foreign IP addresses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking foreign IP addresses?

So I have been getting a lot of brute force attacks from foreign IPs and I want to block them. I don't do business internationally, and with only one or two exceptions I don't EMAIL internationally either. So I just want to block all non-US IP addresses.

I see where I can enter data into "Global Access Control > Access Restrictions > Add IP range" but this has to be done typically one class C at a time. There are literally thousands to hand enter.

Isn't there a way to just download all the ZONE files and have Axigen block IPs by zone?

Thanks.

Hello,

In your case you could use the Country Filtering using the country database provided by MaxMind (WebAdmin > Security & Filtering > Additional Antispam Methods).

Additionally I would suggest to enable Security Log (from axigen.cfg change enableSecurityLog from no to yes) and configure Fail2ban as mentioned in this post.

HTH,
    Ioan

Comment

I tried uploading a GeoIP database from MaxMind but it didn't work. I grabbed the "GeoLite2 Country" file from https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/ and then I uploaded the English version file "GeoLite2-Country-Locations-en.csv" Error says "GeoIP data could not be applied!".

I also tried the "GeoLite2-Country-Blocks-IPv4.csv" file. Same error.

Any ideas as to why? The MaxMind website says that the file format has changed recently. Maybe that is the cause?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello,

The format that have to be uploaded is the MaxMindDB format which means that you have to upload GeoLite2-Country.mmdb file from the downloaded archive.

For reference please use this direct link to obtain the MMDB data packed into a tar.gz archive.

HTH,
        Ioan

Comment

Working...
        X

This is the legacy Axigen forum, which is no longer active.

To create new topics & posts, please visit the new Axigen community.

Axigen Community