Axigen Community Forum

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing features? Anti hammer, log files, Web mail GUI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing features? Anti hammer, log files, Web mail GUI

Hi,
    Im new to Axigen and looking to buy this mail server to run on Windows. Axigen has a really neat admin GUI with Quick response

BUT I cant seam to find a couple of things or are they actually missing!?!?

1 -Missing buttons in the mail windows in standard web mail interface. When opening a mail in to a new windows there are no action buttons. No "Reply", "Forward", "Delete", "Print" etc... frankly that is disappointing!

2 - Where is the anti-hammer or anti brute force attack settings? For many of us logs are filling up with brute force trying to login on domains with different users and passwords from the same IP. I expect there to be a way of setting a automatically temporary blocking of IPs in the Admin GUI. I see several requests of this from the past. I expect such a solution to be in place. Where?

3 -Why are the log files that are created default as text files not readable with Windows Notepad?!? Line brakes / Feeds are all gone.

There are several other things but those are a bit smaller:
    - The automatic migration is awesome! But it does not work for secondary domains if enabled on the primary! (And why require configuration in two separate places?)
    - Why not opt to use Windows DNS-settings when DNR are not set? (enabling SPF block all incoming mail when DNRare not set, among all things nott working without DNR-settings)
    - Option to use IIS service for the web would help all us with a shortage of IPs to consolidate functions (Email and web pages) ito one server

Temporary email address feature is great though!

Best regards
    //Erik

Hello Erik,

Glad to know that you find Axigen suitable for your project.

Regarding your feedback please find below my comments:

1 -Missing buttons in the mail windows in standard web mail interface. When opening a mail in to a new windows there are no action buttons. No "Reply", "Forward", "Delete", "Print" etc... frankly that is disappointing!
    Please know that the standard interface is considered obsolete and you should consider to use it only in very marginal cases (like connecting from an old browser)

2 - Where is the anti-hammer or anti brute force attack settings? For many of us logs are filling up with brute force trying to login on domains with different users and passwords from the same IP. I expect there to be a way of setting a automatically temporary blocking of IPs in the Admin GUI. I see several requests of this from the past. I expect such a solution to be in place. Where?
    This feature request could be reviewed and voted here. In the mean time you could get details on how to integrate with fail2ban on this thread.

3 -Why are the log files that are created default as text files not readable with Windows Notepad?!? Line brakes / Feeds are all gone.
    In order to read Axigen log files on Windows please use an adequate text editor (like Notepad++).

- The automatic migration is awesome! But it does not work for secondary domains if enabled on the primary! (And why require configuration in two separate places?)
    The automatic migration should work fine. Could you open a separate thread and provide the logs for your particular case?

- Why not opt to use Windows DNS-settings when DNR are not set? (enabling SPF block all incoming mail when DNRare not set, among all things nott working without DNR-settings)
    By design the Axigen is not using the OS DNS settings and this is why you have to modify (if needed) the DNS settings automatically set by the wizard.

- Option to use IIS service for the web would help all us with a shortage of IPs to consolidate functions (Email and web pages) ito one server
    The Axigen includes its own WebMail server and you have the option to proxy its webmail interface (which I admit is not an easy task).

BR,
    Ioan

Comment

Hi Indreias,

Thanks for your quick reply to all those questions!

1- Although the ajax interface is a quite neat I personally like the Standard interface a lot more and must say that popup windows for opening mail is crucial in any case (Like you can in Outlook and most other mail clients and web mails). Creating tabs within a web page is just confusing in my opinion. And eliminates the possibility to easy have several mail in view at the same time.

2 - Pointing me to vote for a two and a half year old suggestion for how you should implement an anti hammering feature is not really reassuring for your development speed. Axigen is the only mail server that I have come across during my test of over a handful of other mail servers that does not have an anti hammering feature. Its not ok in my opinion to point to a third party solution that to my understanding does not even work under windows (or did I get that wrong?)

3 - Most serious administrators would like to keep servers free from any unnecessary third party installations. Notepad is an Windows included standard text reader working for mostly all other log/text files created by services run in windows (you are not supposed to edit log files anyway - hence no need for an "adequate" text editor)

-For the migration I have no more need to migrate the primary domain and I am out of time so I have to leave this at that.

-Sadly the wizard did not seem to ask/set those DNR-settings for me (I might have missed something here but then it must have happened twice since I reinstalled the whole server due to SPF blocking all mail. Later figured out that happens when DNR was not set)

-Possibility to use IIS would have been neat but not crucial as you have a good coverage for DNI and certificates for multiple domains.

Conclusion:
      Anti Hammer -Hi priority - Possible deal breaker!
      Web mail popup reading windows with action buttons (in Standard and Ajax webmail) -Really disappointing lack of feature!
      Log files in non windows standard text format - Annoying but I guess one can learn to live with it. It just drags down the overall feeling for the whole mail server.

Best Regards
      //Erik

Comment

PS - Posting in here is quite confusing as one cannot see ones post after submitting.

Comment

PS - Posting in here is quite confusing as one cannot see ones post after submitting.
          PPS: by design - this forum is almost 100% moderated.

Comment

Working...
          X