• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NDR (Non-Delivery Message) & backscatter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDR (Non-Delivery Message) & backscatter

Hi,

We occasionally get placed on a black list because of backscatter. After being directed to "backscatter.org" I read the following:

"Email servers should be configured to provide Non-Delivery Reports (bounces) to local users only. Unacceptable email from anywhere else should be rejected.

If you send NDRs (bounces) to innocent people out there, this is considered abusive because it can amount to a DDOS."

So, I attempted to NOT send an NDR for email messages that:
    1) Had a delivery failure; and
    2) Had a local email recipient

I am unable to create such a filter. Can you assist me with this please?

Thanks,

Hello,

Please know that the requested filter could not be created from Axigen WebAdmin.

Our recommendation is to understand why are you in a situation to send backscatter emails and this could be done only by analysing the Axigen logs.

Nevertheless, there are 2 known situations when backscatter could occured:

1/ During migration >> when Axigen will accept messages for any recipients from that domain(s) - in this case it is recommended to temporarily disable both NDR types (temporary and permanent failures) in Axigen

2/ If the "wait for mail processing" parameter (WebAdmin > Security & Filtering > Acceptance basic settings > Basic policies) is set to 0 or to a value smaller than usual processing time for your particular system (usual this parameter should be somehwere between 10 and 15 secconds).

If you are in none of these cases please share the Axigen relevant logs (SMTP-IN, PROCESSING and SMTP-OUT services should be configured with log level set to Protocol Level) so we could check the source of the problem.

HTH,
    Ioan

Comment

Working...
    X