Published on: Jan 07, 2011
1. IndustryUniversal Motors Corporation (UMC) is the largest and oldest 100% Filipino-owned assembler and distributor of Nissan Light Commercial Vehicles. The company has a solid 56 years of experience in the Philippine automotive industry and concentrated its business on the production of Nissan vehicles (LCV's) in the early 1980's, being known in the market for its commitment to provide customers with products of exceptional quality and reliability.
2. ChallengeUMC had been using a qmail-based email system for about 5 years when they decided to search for an alternative solution. Easier mail server administration and maintenance, as well as increased performance and security were among the key criteria in evaluating replacement options.
The new messaging platform also needed to combine regular email functions with native Outlook connectivity and groupware capabilities that could facilitate enhanced communication with customers and business partners, as well as increased overall employee productivity leveraging personal organizer, sharing and collaboration features.
“UMC was looking for a flexible and secure messaging solution that could enhance their communications, but also prove easier to administrate,” said Patricia Celis, Business Development Manager, IPSYSTEMS, Inc.
3. SolutionUniversal Motors Corporation found that the Axigen Business Messaging solution met their requirements in terms of both features and costs and, with the assistance of the Axigen local partner, IPSYSTEMS, Inc, switched from their legacy platform to Axigen. All the accounts and mailboxes were successfully migrated from the qmail-based system to Axigen via IMAP, by using Axigen’s dedicated engine for automatic and transparent migration, without service interruptions.
The main benefits of implementing Axigen:
- All-in-one Solution – In the older configuration, UMC based their messaging services on a combination of solutions and tools: qmail for POP3 / IMAP email access, SquirrelMail as WebMail service, Qmailtoaster for server configuration and administration.
With Axigen, UMC benefits from an all-in-one, robust messaging platform: SMTP / IMAP / POP3 / WebMail, mobility services, server logging and reporting, back-up and restore operations, all easily configurable and manageable via the WebAdmin (Web-based Administration) console or the Command Line Interface (CLI).
“Axigen provides UMC with an engine for growth and further advancement of their business,” said Patricia Celis, Business Development Manager, IPSYSTEMS, Inc.
- Enhanced Performance – In addition to still being able to run their email system on Linux (thanks to Axigen’s multi-platform architecture, which allows the porting of the server on both Windows and Linux systems, while keeping the same set of advanced capabilities), the Axigen mail server is a mature, commercial solution.
Developed by a team of seasoned professionals with over 15 years of experience in messaging and security, Axigen is backed-up by expert technical engineers and offers a clear roadmap evolution that guarantees the future inclusion of features, to adapt to the changing communication requirements of companies of all sizes.
- Increased Security – Axigen offers solid protection against spam, viruses, or any other email-borne threats via its advanced, multi-layer security toolset which includes defensive tools and mechanisms such as encryption, blacklisting, whitelisting, greylisting, an Identity Confirmation system, the ability to set message acceptance and routing policies, or company specific rules to prevent anti-impersonation etc.
For additional protection, Universal Motors Corporation can also extend Axigen's standard ClamAV and SpamAssassin tools by integrating any of the available commercial security applications; or by activating, for a fee, the embedded Kaspersky AntiVirus and AntiSpam security add-ons.
- Calendaring and Collaboration – Calendaring and groupware capabilities also pushed Axigen on the top of UMC’s decision list. Employees can now manage their time and tasks effectively by using the Personal Organizer, which gives them access to Calendar, Tasks, Notes and Journal functionalities, from both the WebMail interface and the Outlook email client.
They are able to share personal email and calendar folders, appointments and tasks with co-workers, or delegate calendar / message replies, all based on Axigen’s advanced Groupware capabilities, which include an Axigen Outlook Connector, for native connectivity with the Outlook client.
- Easy, Centralized Administration – UMC attached great importance to server administration when looking for a replacement for their qmail-based system. Axigen met their demand for easier, yet more efficient mail server administration and maintenance operations, by offering the ability to configure and manage the server locally and remotely, via the intuitive WebAdmin console, or from CLI. UMC’s IT staff can also use the CLI to automate server operations (e.g. inactive account deletion) and thus save time and costs associated with administrative tasks.
Moreover, by purchasing the large-scale solution add-on, UMC benefits from delegated administration, a feature that enables them to assign different administrative users for the Axigen mail server, which, in turn, helps further decrease the overhead for the IT department.
4. About Gecad Technologies and AxigenEstablished in 2001, Gecad Technologies SA, member of the GECAD Group and ISO 9001:2008 certified, is the vendor of Axigen, an integrated email, calendaring and collaboration platform, masterfully built on unique mail server technologies, for increased speed and security. Axigen ensures an efficient and secure worldwide communication environment and business growth for both service providers and companies of all sizes. It is currently distributed internationally by over 250 partners from 100 countries and manages the email traffic for more than 11,000 companies with 8 million end-users.
Axigen’s team of seasoned professionals, with 15 years of experience in messaging and IT security, delivers cutting-edge products, based on innovative and proprietary architectures such as Axigen GrowSecure™, Axigen SmartProcessing™ and Axigen UltraStorage™. For further details, please visit www.axigen.com