Published on: Jun 06, 2011
1. IndustrySiportal has been active in the Internet connectivity market since 2001 and it is very well-know in Italy for the quality of its services, the ability to meet customers’ needs and the speed to adapt its offer to market changes. These characteristics enabled it to become one of the leading players in the Italian telecommunications landscape, reaching the highest number of ADSL activations in absence of a phone line.
2. ChallengeSiportal wanted to complete its offer with hosting services (domain and email) via the siregister and simail brands. They were searching for an innovative messaging solution as a basis for these new services, one that will enable Siportal to present itself to the market with advanced, integrated communication services.
“The strong desire to offer our customers an innovative solution for email, along with webmail access and calendaring and collaboration capabilities, was the main reason which led Siportal to choose Axigen.” said Fabio Emanuele, CTO Siportal.
3. SolutionAxigen Service Provider Messaging was chosen to replace their old mail server solution, VIRCOM MODUSMAIL, for reasons ranging from its advanced performance and scalability to collaboration features.
As a Service Provider, Siportal is commited to delivering a great messaging experience to its 25.000 customers (from which 12.000 are active users). It combines reliable services with affordable fares for its standard (basic) users, and will soon enable premium features (user collaboration, calendaring and mobile sync capabilities), thanks to Axigen.
The migration was made automatically (500 GB and 12.000 accounts migrated in 45 days) and the process went smoothly. Here are some of the benefits that recommended Axigen as a great replacement for their old mail server solution:
- Better performance and high availability – Axigen is an excellent carrier-class system, specially designed to offer fast and reliable messaging services. The newly implemented SP solution significantly improves the performance of Siportal’s messaging services and helps them achieve a level of high availability.
- Easier integration and administration – Axigen allows seamless integration with Siportal’s 3rd party services (such as the www.siportal.it web portal, LDAP or custom web administration interface). Moreover, simple and straightforward server configuration and administration reduces the burden on the IT department.
- Many options for accessing the inbox – Users have local and remote access to their emails and personal data from popular desktop email clients such as MS Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird, as well as from Axigen’s friendly WebMail interfaces. In addition to an impressive desktop-like usability, the latest version of Axigen’s Ajax WebMail interface offers full support for Calendar, Tasks and Notes. Users can also change the display language of the interface in Italian.
- Calendaring, collaboration and mobile sync – With Axigen, premium users have the ability to organize and share calendars, tasks and notes from MS Outlook and WebMail, leveraging native groupware and connectivity with Outlook (via the Axigen Outlook Connector). Moreover, they can easily access and manage their mailbox from their mobile phones (Nokia, iPhone, Windows Mobile devices etc.), via over-the-air synchronization, by using Axigen's built-in Exchange ActiveSync® support.
- Powerful email security – Over 12 layers of security (including integrations with CLAMAV and SPAMASSASIN for anti-virus / anti-spam) ensure first-class defense against email-borne threats, while still keeping the system extremely scalable and flexible.
4. About Gecad Technologies and AxigenEstablished in 2001, Gecad Technologies SA, member of the GECAD Group and ISO 9001:2008 certified, is the vendor of Axigen, an integrated email, calendaring and collaboration platform, masterfully built on unique mail server technologies, for increased speed and security. Axigen ensures an efficient and secure worldwide communication environment and business growth for both service providers and companies of all sizes. It is currently distributed internationally by over 250 partners from 100 countries and manages the email traffic for more than 11,000 companies with 8 million end-users.
Axigen’s team of seasoned professionals, with 15 years of experience in messaging and IT security, delivers cutting-edge products, based on innovative and proprietary architectures such as Axigen GrowSecure™, Axigen SmartProcessing™ and Axigen UltraStorage™. For further details, please visit www.axigen.com